Philadelphia, PA

Project Highlights / Scope of Work

  • Removed existing track and performed excavation
  • Constructed new turnout and at-grade railroad crossing
  • Upgraded infrastructure with new paving and new drainage system
  • Provided traffic protection during lane closures


  • Tracks remained active except during scheduled outages
  • Maintain vehicle traffic into and out of the terminal throughout weekday work
  • Only one complete road closure permitted
  • Close proximity of another contractor doing roadwork nearby
  • Presence of a secondary concrete slab discovered after excavation


Project Description

This marine terminal, owned by the Philadelphia Regional Port Authority, is a port and temporary storage facility for cargo that is transferred to trucks and trains for delivery.  The owner sought to expand their distribution capabilities by making improvements to their rail infrastructure thereby increasing railcar clearance and accommodating longer cars.  The project included a new at-grade railroad crossing and new turnout.

The railroad crossing was built on the busy roadway leading into the terminal.  The existing track was removed and the area was excavated.  During excavation a second, previously unknown concrete slab was discovered.  The presence of the slab required a change in the type of underlayment that had been planned:  from 14” of DGA to ½” of stone dust.  Over 250’ of precast panels were placed on the new foundation and the approaches to the crossing were repaved.

Because of the city’s requirement to keep one lane open to traffic, the work area at the crossing was severely limited.  All prep work as well as half of the track removal was done on the weekdays. The remainder of the removal and all the new track installation was done during the lone weekend that was scheduled for a complete closure.

Inside the terminal, a new turnout was constructed accessing the Conrail Philadelphia Beltline.  Because the turnout was on the mainline, work was done during scheduled track outages. Through careful planning, the coordination of deliveries and long working shifts, we were able to return the track to service within two days. A new drainage system was installed on the grounds completing the upgrades at the terminal.