Railroad Construction Co., Inc., RCC Builders & Developers, Inc. and Beach Electric Co., Inc. held their annual safety meeting on October 10, 2012, at our warehouse facility in Edison, NJ. Our goal this year was to provide presentations on safety issues of particular importance to our co-workers in our heavy/ civil, building, track and electrical divisions. This year's event started with a presentation by Andrew Masciantonio of AON on Distracted Driving, emphasizing the importance to devote one's attention to driving/operating equipment and not to be distracted from that responsibility. Following that, our co-workers split up into three separate groups, guided by our Sr. Project Managers, and alternated between three inter-active stations, where they experienced hands-on presentations for:
- Working Around Heavy Equipment - Sitting in the operators seat of three different pieces of heavy equipment, realizing the blind spots around heavy equipment. This presentation was conducted by Joe Scerbo, Harry Silverglate and Augie Vagueiro of Laborers Local Union 472 SET.
- Scaffold Erection Safety - Moving about and upon scaffolds to identify key requirements and identify errors in scaffold erection. This was conducted by Rick Bunker of the RCC Safety Dept.
- Proper Use of Fall Protection PPE - Selection, inspection and donning of proper personal fall protection equipment, presented by Ray Nardo of Fall-Proof Network Systems.
Al Daloisio, Jr. spoke about the company and his appreciation for the hard work and dedication of all of the co-workers who make our Family of Companies truly special. It was also a great opportunity for our co-workers and guests to see our Edison facility.
This event was attended by nearly 200 people, including guests and dignitaries from our local New Jersey unions, representatives from the AGC, BCA and OSHA New Jersey area offices.
RCC Fabricators, Inc. held their annual safety meeting on November 15, 2012 at our facility in Vincentown, NJ. Our goal this year was to provide presentations on safety issues of particular importance to our co-workers in our steel fabrication facility.
This year's event started with a welcome introduction by Scott Vesper, Vice President. Safety Director, Rick Bunker gave a presentation on Hazard Comunication, emphasizing the key elements of the company's HazCom program. Presentations were also given on:
- Eye Safety - Covering hazards, types of eye injuries and the types of protective equipment. Brian Lane of the RCC Safety Dept. conducted a presentation.
- Fire Safety for Combustible/Flammable Storage - Covering the proper care, use, labeling and storage of combustible and flammable substances at the facility. Joe Bellardino of the RCC Safety Dept. conducted a presentation.
- Safe Operation and Working Around Fork Lifts - Sitting in the operators seat of two sizes of forklifts (large and small) and realizing the blind spots around forklift equipment. This presentation was conducted by Joe Cruz of Eastern Lift.
- Inspection and Use of Rigging - Selection, inspection and use of wire rope and synthetic slings, shackles and chains for lifting with our overhead crane and other equipment. This presentation was conducted by Scott Koenig of Nelson Wire Rope.
Our Safety Meetings were both educational and informative. Everyone gathered together to focus on safety and honor and thank the men and women who make safety a number one priority daily. More than 90 safety incentive awards were presented to co-workers for their exemplary safety records.
Many thanks to everyone, especially our guests and speakers, for taking the time to be with us and making both of these events truly special, informative, and memorable!